The STS/ACC TVT RegistryTM
is well positioned to help researchers examine critical questions on the delivery and outcomes of TAVR procedures. The registry’s datasets hold answers to complex questions related to patient risk factors and outcomes, procedure and treatment trends, guidelines adherence, and device, facility and provider characteristics.
Submitting a Research Proposal
The TVT Registry’s investigator-lead research and publications process allows investigators to submit research proposals based on analysis of limited datasets from the registry.
Research proposals are intended for hypothesis-driven studies based upon secondary analysis of registry data, with the intent to develop manuscripts suitable for peer-reviewed publication. Actual datasets are not released. Specific information about the data collected by the TVT Registry can be found on the Data Collection page.
Proposed studies require the completion of a formal research proposal application (RPA) through an online research management system. When an investigator submits an RPA, the proposed project enters the TVT Registry (R&P) pipeline. Submitted proposals are reviewed for scientific merit and undergo a competitive approval process for funding, which is used to support analysis conducted by a contracted data analytic center.
The TVT Registry R&P pipeline process includes:
- Proposal review, approval and prioritization by the TVT Registry Research and Publication Subcommittee
- Analysis by a TVT Registry-designated analytic center
- Oversight of manuscript and abstract preparation and submission
Patient, hospital and physician confidentiality is always protected. All projects are supervised by the TVT Registry R&P committee to ensure adherence to data access and use policies and procedures, as well as relevant regulations.
Steps for Submitting an RPA:
To ensure that your proposal has the best chance for acceptance, please follow the guidelines below before drafting your research proposal application:
Review the Application Instructions and Investigator Guidelines and the TVT Registry RPA submission FAQs.
Check the TVT Registry research calendar for submission deadlines.
Review the registry data collection forms to confirm that the registry collects the data needed for your proposal.
Ensure your research proposal idea has no overlap with in-progress or published work. Lists of published and unpublished projects are provided above.
Determine which funding source you will select on your RPA form:
- Researchers with projects not supported by a grant or industry funding should select “NCDR funding” on the RPA form (most common funding source).
- Funding goes towards the cost of data analytics, which includes the analysis for a manuscript and an abstract.
- Analytics must be conducted at a TVT Registry-designated data analytic center. The registry does not send datasets to individual investigators or organizations.
- If you have grant, institution, industry, analytic center or another external source of funding, please complete the preliminary proposal for non-TVT Registry funded research form and email it to email@example.com before preparing a proposal. These proposals may be submitted at any time and are not subject to deadlines. Investigators are encouraged to contact the registry early in the funding exploration phase.
- All TVT Registry research studies must adhere to the same oversight processes regardless of funding source for the research activities; therefore, obtaining funding does not automatically guarantee the research study will be approved.
Determine if the 'Rule of Two' applies to you. A primary author may not have more than two active proposals at one time in the R&P pipeline for the TVT Registry or any NCDR registry. An active proposal is one that has been submitted for R&P Committee review, but has not resulted in submission of a manuscript to a peer-reviewed journal.
When you are ready to submit an application, log in to the Research Management System using your existing ACC.org credentials, or create a new account. Anyone can create a free account. Review the following on “R&P Resources Page” (located in the top navigation bar):
- Introduction to the Research Management System
- User Guide for Investigators, Part I: Submitting a Research Proposal Application (RPA)
- Application Instructions and Investigator Guidelines
Once your application is received by the registry, you will receive a confirmation email along with an assigned tracking number. If it passes preliminary screening, your submission will then move forward for committee review. You will be notified about next steps throughout the process.
For Questions about TVT Registry Research
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-257-4737 Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET.